Benvenuti in Puglia!
Welcome to a very Italian love story – to the magical real-deal. The unbuttoned, unspoiled “heel of the boot”– in glorious springtime!
A simple and original culture, Puglia is thriving with succulent food traditions, indigenous wines, loads of beauty, and friendliest people in Italy.
We will be in the heart of authentic country life, staying in a gorgeous Masseria – a historic Puglian manor-farm turned stylishly chic and comfortable. There will be yoga and biking (with full support for all-levels, and e-bikes available), there will be walking, beach-hopping, exploring Baroque towns, and feasting and food-culture: starring creative farm-to-table cooking at every meal, and our wonderful Italian crew taking care of every little thing with grace, passion, and joy. Viva!
• Daily Yoga and Daily Outings: Get ready for a fantastic adventure together with our greathearted local guides who are passionate about their “terra” and excited to show us her secrets! There will be yoga –of course, and fascinating and varied bike tours may feature (depending on desires of the group: fully supported and E-bikes are available) plus beautiful, authentic villages, beaches, a great city day, foodie visits to very authentic producers and wine-makers, trullis, seaside towns, and ancient sites.
•The stunning landscape we'll be exploring encompasses many of the region's most beautiful towns including Alberobello, a UNESCO world heritage town made up entirely of conical trulli; Ostuni "the White City", the charming village of Cisternino, the circular-maze of Locorotondo, the authentic and ancient port town of Monopoli, and the seaside jewel, Polignano a Mare, among others.
•Baroque City Day: Explore Lecce, a stunning masterpiece of a town known as “the Florence of the South”, filled with cathedrals, Roman ruins, fabulous boutiques, excellent little restaurants, cafes, beautiful piazzas, bookstores, and Puglian life!
• Taste, Sip, Savor, and Indulge in one of the world’s most luscious indigenous culinary traditions – from olive oil, cheese, and wines to foraged delights from farm and forest. Delight all your senses and learn from the passionate local experts.
• This is your retreat Feel free to participate as much or as little as you like in all of the offerings. Relaxation by the pool with a book, is a wonderful alternate choice to outings if desired. Italians esteem the practice of dolce far niente, “sweet doing-nothing”.
Our Masseria is rustic-chic, comfortable and very beautiful. It was one of the first traditional Puglian estates in the region to accept guests, and is set on the edge of the one-horse town of Speziale. It is family-run by it's owners, who've lived here for many generations. The masseria has been recently renovated to include a gorgeous pool in the spacious, grassy courtyard with ancient olive trees. The rooms are stylish and comfortable, with private bathrooms, and are set around an inner courtyard. The architecture is all white, according to local custom. Masseria Narducci is locally known for its excellent Puglian cuisine, and everything is homemade from local produce. Expect to see many locals dining here in the evenings!
All levels of yoga experience are welcome, and will be honored and provided for.
Morning sessions will invigorate and energize with clear, alignment instruction for all levels.
You'll cultivate mindful awareness of your body's innate intelligence, develop breath, focus and clarity, and enjoy the present moment while building stability and strength.
Our purpose will be to support our greatest vitality – physical, mental, and emotional – as our bodies change along the path of life.
On many afternoons a restorative yoga session will be offered, to unwind from the day's activities, balance the nervous system, and learn simple, take-home practices that help reduce stress.
We will practice outdoors poolside weather permitting, or indoors in an old stone room with natural light.
Please bring a mat – all other props will be provided.
The sublime Food
Get ready to feast! Puglia has the food the rest of Italy swoons over. Much of what we love most about Italian food comes from Puglia – it is the motherland of all things fresh, wholesome, handmade and delicious. The traditional dishes are simple and fulfilling, and the young cooks have an innate creative flair for turning the grandparents' farm produce into exquisite new renditions! Our masseria is known for its restaurant, and we'll also be dinning in very special places in several nearby towns.
There are 60 million olive trees in Puglia, some several million of which are over 1,000-years old. We’ll be staying amongst the most ancient trees, and take visits to authentic farms making the freshest mozzarellas and other succulent cheeses indigenous to Puglia, olive oil farms where the fruit of milleniums-old trees is used exclusively to produce special oil exceptional high in youth-giving anti-oxidants.
A detailed cycling itinerary of our routes will be sent to you, describing the historic places we'll go!
The cycling is accessible to everyone, with a minimum of fitness level because...
We have electric-assisted bikes available! They are easy to ride, simple, and so much fun! You still get to pedal, but a battery offers a boost if you need it. All our rides are fully supported by professional local guides and a van with bike trailer so you can hop in when you wish.
Arriving and Departing
Full details for travel planning, about our location, packing tips, and more, will be sent to you after registration to assist your preparation.
Pricing and Room Options
All prices are per person.
Please note that all prices will increase by $200 after January 1, 2019.
Pre-register early to reserve your space and get this year's pricing.
Standard Room with private bathroom
Double – $3500
Single – $4100
Nearest airports: Bari or Brindisi. There are more flights to/from Bari. Connecting Through Rome is a great option!
Please plan to arrive in Bari or Brindisi no later than noon on May 18, if possible.
We recommend flying into Rome, and then catching a flight to Bari's Karol Wojtyła Airport (airport code: BRI.) Flights to Bari depart Rome's Leonardo da Vinci - Fiumicino Airport (FCO) several times daily.
We encourage you to arrive a day (or more) early in Italy to acclimate to the time zone and enjoy more of spectacular Italy!
The retreat begins on Saturday May 18. Check in time 1pm.
The retreat ends on Saturday, May 25 after yoga and breakfast. Early departures can be organized as needed to make flights. Check-out time is 11 am.
We will coordinate a taxi or shared transfer for you from/to the Bari (or Brindisi) airport to the masseria, according to your arrival/departure needs.
For help arranging air travel, please work with your travel advisor/agent, or you can easily book it yourself online. My favorite site for efficient airline booking is www.hipmunk.com. For hotels, Booking.com.
What's included in the price
The retreat is structured so you will have a wonderful experience with great ease.
– Daily yoga with Julia ( 1 - 2 times/day )
– Stylish accommodation for 7 nights in a historic Puglian Masseria of great beauty and charm, reserved exclusively for us.
– All bountiful meals for the retreat (except for two lunches out ).
– Hand-picked local restaurants, and the gourmet feasts served at our masseria, which is locally-known for it's food.
– All Daily excursions and visits including transportation
– Guided, fully-supported bike tours to discover the landscape, villages, trullis, seaside towns and sites
– Foodie-culture visits to authentic local olive-oil producers, cheese-makers, farms off-the-beaten-track.
– Guided tour of Lecce, the Baroque masterpiece city known as the "Florence of the South."
– Beach days on the Adriatic Sea ( weather permitting )
– Expert local guides plus a support van and bike trailer.
Not included in the price: Airfare to Bari or Brindisi, transfer from airport to hotel, tips, two lunches. We will be in touch with you about your travel plans to assist as needed.
A $900 deposit is due at time of registration. The remaining balance is due by February 1, 2018. (Special payment plans can be arranged.)
*Special dietary restrictions can be accommodated
Ci vediamo in Italia