Welcome to Greece
welcome back to joyful simplicity.
Restore your essence and vitality in a setting of mythic beauty: Join Julia for a rich and unique retreat-experience of freedom on the light-filled island of Amorgos!
Immerse yourself in the practice of yoga and the joyful Greek way of life on this 9-day retreat, guided by Julia's deep knowledge of the island, history, special people, food, culture and language developed over 25 years of personal pilgrimage to Greece.
Luxurious lodgings, authentic Greek culture, amazing hikes and swims, and delicious local food await:
Step out of the bonds of daily habit to re-discover your clarity and freedom in the pure light of Greece. You'll return home revitalized and refreshed!
what to expect
• Morning (and afternoon, most days) yoga overlooking the sea
• Luxurious, friendly and spectacular 5-star hotel & spa on Amorgos
• A night in Athens at a beautiful boutique hotel
• Fresh, lavish Greek farm-to-table meals (organic whenever possible).
• A foodie's delight: we'll eat in creative local restaurants around the island in addition to our hotel's excellent cuisine.
• Healing bodywork and spa treatments
• Expertly-guided tour of Athens, visiting the Acropolis, museums, and local secrets
• Daily day-trips and hikes to beautiful beaches, villages, perched monasteries, boutiques
• Guidance in the 'art of pilgrimage': of soulful travel and making your journey personally meaningful.
• Meet local artisans and other great people
• Time to reconnect with yourself in the spacious peace
• Rejuvenation, fun, and deep relaxation – Greek island style!
on the island
We'll begin the retreat with one night in Athens at a beautiful boutique hotel with spectacular views of the Acropolis. Our time in Athens will kick-off with a walk in the vibrant area full of unique artisan’s shops, the sacred hills full of ancient ruins, and culminating in an expertly-guided sunset visit to the Acropolis and Parthenon. We'll have a gourmet dinner out in the romantic old city, taking-in the thriving local foodie scene. The following morning is free time to choose your pleasure: ancient sites, museums, shopping in the vibrant pedestrian streets, or opt for a food-tour.
We'll take the ferry to the Cycladic island of Amorgos, together in late-afternoon. Amorgos is a gorgeous, rare still-unspoiled island offering us a taste of traditional Greek life amid dazzling natural beauty. The island has been known since ancient times for its powerful healing qualities, and the aromatic herbs that grow wild here are among the most potent in the world.
Our days on the island begin with energizing morning yoga in a magnificent studio overlooking the Aegean Sea, followed by a bountiful brunch featuring freshly prepared dishes, baked goods, Greek specialities, fresh juices, coffee drinks, fruits and salads from the gardens, breads from the local village and delicacies too numerous to name.
Each day, you are free to choose to participate as much or as little as you like in all of the offerings – which also include time to lounge on the pristine beaches right below the hotel; or poolside; get a massage, or simply relax.
Daily outings are are offered including hikes on ancient footpaths to traditional villages and hidden monasteries, a private excursion by boat, pristine and remote beaches, local culture, and the main village with its labyrinthine white streets, windmills and beautiful boutiques.
On most afternoons we'll gather for a restorative yoga session to deepen and integrate the day's experiences, and each evening we enjoy a sunset aperitif on the veranda followed by a delicious and abundant Greek dinner. Nights are filled with stars, and often local Greek musicians.
You will have a deep and personal experience of this mythic land where the human hand has worked in harmony with nature for millennia.
We'll stay our first night in Athens in a beautiful boutique hotel with spectacular views, before heading off to our magical island…
We'll be staying in a beautiful five-star resort on Amorgos
Our home for the week is a beautiful five-star resort, owned by a lovely local family who welcomes us as their own. A path leads to several amazing beaches. All rooms have gorgeous sea views. You'll have full access to the excellent spa and pools, and our delicious meals are organic as much as possible, straight from the family's gardens.
All levels of yoga experience are welcome, and will be honored and provided for.
Amorgos offers an incredible setting for deepening our practices of yoga. All sessions are held in our gorgeous private studio with spectacular views over the Aegean sea.
Morning sessions will invigorate, strengthen and energize with clear and specific alignment instruction. The emphasis is on moving with awareness and depth rather than performing poses. Late-afternoon sessions will be more restorative and relaxing to integrate the day and learn simple, take-home practices to integrate your retreat into your life, including meditation.
Expect to have fun, build strength, stability and agility, develop breath, focus and clarity, and enjoy the present moment in this spiritually inspiring environment. Our purpose will be to support our greatest vitality as our bodies change along the path of life.
Note: Yoga participation is fully optional and you may choose to attend classes according to your body’s needs.
Pricing and Room Options
All prices are per person.
Please note that all prices will increase by $300 after January 1, 2020.
Pre-register early to reserve your space and get this year's pricing.
Superior Room (5-star hotel & spa)
Double occupancy per person – $3650
Single occupancy – $4200
Double – $3900
Single - $4800
Double occupancy per person – $4350
Triple occupancy per person – $3950
SUPERIOR ROOM AMENITIES
– Ocean view
– Free WiFi
– Coffee & Tea
– Hair dryer
– 32’’ flat screen TV
– Direct phone line
– Bath & pool towels
Please plan to arrive in Athens no later than noon on May 31, 2020, if possible.
We highly encourage you to arrive a day early in Athens, on May 30, to acclimate to the time zone and enjoy more of the fascinating city of Athens.
If you are going home right after the retreat, you will likely need to stay a night in Athens on June 8th, depending on boat/flight schedules. Plan to fly home on June 9.
We encourage you to stay longer in Greece and visit other islands or the mainland before heading back to Athens – we can help coordinate all your post-retreat travel!
For professional assistance organizing any of your travel in Greece, I can connect you with our great Greek travel coordinator, Voula.
Please purchase travel insurance to protect your health and wellbeing as well as your investment, from unforeseen circumstances before or during your retreat. We highly recommend purchasing comprehensive travel insurance at the time you book your retreat. Suggested companies include: World Nomads, Generali, .
EXECUTIVE AND JUNIOR SUITE ROOM AMENITIES
All the amenities of the Superior room, plus
– Jacuzzi in the bathrooms
– Spacious private terrace screened from the sun
– Large bathroom with double showers and steam room.
– Greater tranquility and luxury with state-of-the-art technology
– Junior Suite is even more spacious, offering a sitting area which can be transformed to a second bedroom.
What is Included in the price
The retreat is structured so you will have a wonderful experience with great ease.
– Daily yoga with Julia ( 2x/day most days )
– Luxury accommodation for 8 nights. (one night in a top boutique hotel in Athens, 7 nights in luxury 5* resort on Amorgos)
– All bountiful meals for the retreat, fresh, local, organic, in great restaurants, including our hotel (except one lunch out in Athens).
– First-class boat tickets to Amorgos with full cabin accomodation
– Transportation from Athens hotel to port
– One 30 min Swedish massage during your stay
– Full access to Hamam, sauna, and deluxe spa facilities (receive 10% off treatments)
– Sea-salt swimming pool (indoor and outdoor)
– Beautiful beaches (access to shower, towels, chairs)
– Guided tour of the Acropolis, museum, and other ancient sites in Athens including all tickets and fees
– Private boat trip in Amorgos (wind conditions permitting) to uninhabited island for snorkeling and exploring
– Hikes, walks, guided culture visits to monasteries, hidden beaches, great boutiques in villages and more, including transportation – Visit to the laboratory of a local herbalist to learn about native healing plants, with essential-oil-making demonstration
– Serendipitous participation in local festivals, events, and opportunities
– Rejuvenation, relaxation and FUN Greek-island style!
What is Not Included
– Airfare to Athens
– Transfer from Athens airport to hotel
– Tips, alcohol, additional activities or trips
– Personal expenses
– Post-retreat travels (including ferry from Amorgos to your next destination)
– Travel Insurance
•We will help you coordinate your return travel from Amorgos, and be in touch with you about all your travel plans to assist.
•After registration, we will feed you with a steady diet of additional pre-departure information including both the inspirational and practical things you’ll want to know to prepare and inspire you on all levels for a wonderful journey to Greece!
•A $900 deposit is due at time of registration to hold your place. The remaining balance is due by February 1, 2020. (Special payment plans can be arranged.)
*Special dietary restrictions can be accommodated
The Greek Odyssey Retreat is very popular and fills quickly. Space is limited. Pre-register to receive this year's pricing.
"My love affair with Greece"
My love-affair with Greece started like a bonfire, back in my childhood days, when I traveled here with my family for entire summers. And I’ve since returned to Greece every year now for 25 years! The life here fills me with a sense of freedom, light, and joy that is indescribable! I have long studied Greek mythology, history and way of life, and I’ve become proficient in Greek language through long months of extensive travels here, and delightful summer evenings spent sitting and talking with island elders and other Greek friends. I earned my B.A. in Philosophy before becoming a painter, and as an artist, I attended the Aegean Center for Fine Arts on the Greek island of Paros; and had exhibitions of my work in museums and galleries in the islands of Naxos and Paros. You could say, I work and look forward the whole year to this special time of retreat in Greece– which is now my great joy and honor to share with you. For the light, the unmatched revitalizing effect of this mythic place, and for the deep joy experienced here with the Greek people.